CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
Alfonzo Dennard, #15
5'10", 203 lbs., 22 years old
2011: 31 tackles, 6 PBU
2010: 30 tackles, 4 INT (TD), 7 PBU, FF
2009: 30 tackles, 3 TFL, 8 PBU
2008: 5 tackles
- Tough, physical corner that uses strong hands at the line of scrimmage as a press corner.
- Good body size for the position, able to withstand counter-attack from bigger, stronger receivers.
- Slightly above average timed speed for the position.
- Shows good instincts on underneath routes and can close on them quickly.
- His major restriction is how stiff his hips are. If he has to do a quick hip flip on a double move to get himself back in it, it takes him totally out of the play.
- A bit weak for such a physical player in run support. Gets pushed back a lot by blocking receivers.
- Struggled a large portion of the week at the Senior Bowl in cover corner drills against the nation's top senior receivers.
- May be a safety, not a cornerback in the NFL.
- Turns 23 in September.
- Ejected from final collegiate game vs. South Carolina for throwing two punches at Alshon Jeffery.
- Assisted with Nebraska's team hospital visits and volunteered time at a retirement home.
Projection: 2nd to 3rd round
- You love to see a player on defense like Dennard who possesses that feistiness and overall physicality at the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately, his inability to change directions is going to cost him a spot in the first round, maybe even as a cornerback entirely. Still should be drafted on day two, likely as a safety.
Tags : Topics : SportsSocial : SportsLocations : NebraskaPeople : Rochelle