CB Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
Casey Hayward, #19
5'10", 188 lbs., 22 years old
2011: 62 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 7 INT (1 TD), 10 PBU
2010: 70 tackles, 2 TFL, 6 INT, 11 PBU, FF
2009: 58 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 2 INT, 7 PBU
2008: 8 tackles, 3 PBU, FF
- Intelligent cornerback that has a knack for reading the receivers' routes as well as the quarterbacks eyes while in coverage.
- Trusts his instincts. Even when he's beat down the sideline he hones in on the receivers' hands. When they go up, his arms go up and he swats down the pass that way.
- Physical cornerback at the top of a receivers' breakdown.
- Displays good jumping ability despite his size to go up and knock down a potential big play.
- Not as fast as one would hope for a cornerback. Will get beat deep by faster players in man-to-man and with a well-thrown ball.
- Needs to be more physical when he's in press. Concentrated more on getting out of his stance than sticking the receiver at first.
- Needs to be a bit more aggressive on tackles. Lets the runner come to him rather than the other way around.
- Struggles a bit in change of direction. Can whiff on a tackle with a cutback when running sideline-to-sideline.
- Turns 23 in September.
Projection: 2nd to 3rd round
- All Hayward did for the Commodores in his three seasons of starting was make plays on a team that really doesn't have a lot of talent in the SEC. While his speed issues are worrisome, maybe if he's put in a zone scheme he'll be able to capitalize on his instinctive play and start on the outside for a team.
Tags : Topics : SportsSocial : SportsPeople : Casey Hayward, Perry