CB DeQuan Menzie, Alabama
DeQuan Menzie, #24
5'10", 192 lbs., 22 years old
2011: 41 tackles, 4 TFL, 1.5 sacks, INT (TD), 11 PBU
2010: 33 tackles, 5 TFL, 2 sacks, 4 PBU
- An excellent wrap-up tackler. Considering his size and position, Menzie might be one of the best if not the best tackling cornerback available in the draft.
- Flashes a good turn and run with the receiver while keeping an eye on the backfield. Aware of where the ball is going when in control.
- Displays physicality when matched up in press coverage or against blockers.
- Used as a nickel corner blitzer a lot by Alabama. Can take on blocks and free up lanes for the pass rushers.
- Does not have elite speed or elite burst. Will get beat deep if a receiver gets a step on him.
- Injury history: Had Achilles tendon surgery in 2010. Missed two games in 2010 due to a groin injury.
- Needs to give a big cushion to his assignment due to poor foot-speed.
- May be better off as a safety at the next level.
- JUCO transfer from Copiah-Lincoln CC
Projection: 5th to 6th round
- I think Menzie brings a lot to the table that some of the other late round prospects don't. His physical limitations will keep him from going on the first two days of the draft, but he'll find a home somewhere on Day Three.
Tags : Topics : SportsSocial : SportsLocations : Alabama, Columbus, Georgia, Lincoln