Ryan Steed, #1
5'10", 193 lbs., 21 years old
2011: 46 tackles, 1 TFL (sack), 4 INT, 4 PBU
2010: 65 tackles, 2 TFL , 4 INT (1 TD), 4 PBU 3 FF
2009: 59 tackles, 1 TFL, 4 INT (2 TD), 11 PBU, FF
2008: 10 tackles, 2 INT
- Has playmaking ability on the ball. Meets it at it's highest point and has shown the penchant for run after the catch (3 TDs).
- Nice speed and quickness to get to the ball and mirror his man.
- Shows fluid hips and can get out of his backpedal quickly when not peeking.
- Shows versatility, excelling in man-to-man and zone coverages.
- Level of competition. Can he perform as well in the NFL as he did in college?
- Gets caught flat-footed at times in his backpedal when trying to read the quarterback's eyes.
- Recovery speed isn't his strong suit. If he gets beat, he'll have trouble getting back.
- Turns 22 in July.
Projection: 3rd to 4th round
- While Steed does need some experience against competition comparable to him, he has a lot of buzz for the 2012 NFL Draft. With so many small-school success stories at cornerback in the NFL, Steed is one of the four top guys that are getting people the most excited. He'll be a special teams player at the beginning, but could develop in to a starter.