Stephon Gilmore, #5
6'1", 195 lbs., 21 years old
Rock Hill, SC
2011: 46 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 sack, 4 INT, 7 PBU, FF
2010: 79 tackles, 6 TFL, 3 sacks, 3 INT, 2 PBU, FF
2009: 56 tackles, 6 TFL, 3 sacks, INT, 8 PBU, 2 FF
- Three-year starter with the Gamecocks.
- Has good size and speed for the position. Able to close the gap when trailing a receiver.
- A good, explosive burst used to close on ball carriers.
- A big hitter. Will make highlight reels for some of his blows delivered.
- Instincts are really lacking. Gets torched in man-to-man on underneath coverage.
- Hips are a bit stiff in his turn in to running out of his backpedal. Will have to compensate for that in the NFL.
- Despite being a big hitter, a poor tackler. Doesn't wrap-up. Almost always goes for the bigger hit. Looks to chop the ball carrier's legs.
- Can get taken out of the run play by a physical and aggressive blocking receiver.
- Turns 22 in September.
- A dual-threat quarterback in high school.
- Declared as a junior.
Projection: 1st round
- Gilmore's decision to enter the NFL Draft looked at first like a bad move, but he's flown up draft boards. He's someone who has everything you want on paper, but really struggles with his instincts and recognition skills. The raw talent, combined with some off-the-field concerns with other players at the position will make him highly coveted. Some team will take a shot on him early.