Florida Wins Draft Lottery; Sabres Will Pick 2nd Overall
The Buffalo Sabres had a 25% chance to have the 1st overall pick. All the other team combine had a 75% chance to win the top pick.
The Sabres couldn't overcome the odds against them, as the Florida Panthers have won the 2014 NHL Draft Lottery. They will have their choice of top prospects, including Aaron Ekblad, Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett, and Leon Draisaitl. The Sabres will take whoever the Panthers don't, as they will have the 2nd overall pick.
The Buffalo Sabres have never picked 2nd overall in their 44-year history. In fact, the Sabres have never picked 3rd or 4th overall either. Meanwhile, the Florida Panthers have picked 1st overall just one other time in 1994, when they picked defensman and current team captain Ed Jovanovski.