- The Sabres jumped out to the 1-0 lead on Evander Kane's 7th. The forward swung the puck around the net and connected on his rebound.
- Sam Reinhart's power play goal at 15:54 of the 1st made it 2-0. Reinhart got his stick on Rasmus Ristolainen's shot from the point, deflecting it past Petr Mrazek.
- Henrik Zetterberg cut the lead in half in the 2nd period, scoring from an impossible angle (banking the shot off Robin Lehner's mask), but Jack Eichel's 6th came just 22 seconds later. Eichel roasted Thomas Vanek while driving hard to the net and roofed a shot over Mrazek.
- Drew Miller's 4th came 1:06 after Eichel found the net, pulling Detroit back to within a goal, 3-2.
- Former Sabre Thomas Vanek took advantage of a Justin Falk turnover on a 3rd period power play, beating Robin Lehner to make the 3-3.
- Buffalo responded quickly once again, this time about two minutes later, on Kane's 2nd of the evening.
- Dan Bylsma reaches 300 career NHL wins, becoming the 47th coach to reach the milestone.
- Kane's first goal snapped a streak in which the Sabres had allowed their opponents to score the game's first goal.
- Sam Reinhart has racked up 5 points (2 G, 3 A) in his last 4 games.
- Kane opened the scoring and closed the scoring, and now has 4 goals in his last 5 games.
- Dmitry Kulikov recorded his first point of the season, assisting on Kane's 2nd goal.
7:12 - BUF - Evander Kane (7) (Brian Gionta, Zach Bogosian)
15:54 - BUF - Sam Reinhart (8) (PPG) (Rasmus Ristolainen, Jack Eichel)
14:40 - DET - Frans Nielsen (2 min., interference)
14:46 - DET - Henrik Zetterberg (7) (Anthony Mantha, Steve Ott)
15:08 - BUF - Jack Eichel (6) (Marcus Foligno)
16:14 - DET - Drew Miller (4) (Dylan Larkin)
4:56 - BUF - Marcus Foligno (5 min., fighting)
4:56 - DET - Anthony Mantha (5 min., fighting)
6:41 - DET - Brendan Smith (2 min., tripping)
8:55 - BUF - Dmitry Kulikov (2 min., hooking)
9:21 - DET - Luke Glendening (2 min., holding)
19:21 - BUF - Evander Kane (5 min., fighting)
19:21 - DET - Brendan Smith (5 min., fighting)
6:33 - DET - Thoms Vanek (6) (PPG) (Unassisted)
8:29 - BUF - Evander Kane (8) (Brian Gionta, Dmitry Kulikov)
5:03 - BUF - Sam Reinhart (2 min., hooking)
BUF - Robin Lehner (40 saves, 43 shots)
DET - Petr Mrazek (18 saves, 22 shots)
BUF - 1 of 3
DET - 1 of 2