LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
Luke Kuechly, #40
6'3", 237 lbs., 20 years old
2011: 191 tackles, 12 TFL, 3 INT
2010: 183 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 3 INT
2009: 158 tackles, 13 TFL, 1 sack, INT
- A literal tackling machine. 532 total tackles over a three-year career with the Eagles.
- Incredible instincts and awareness. Reads the play, strafes along with the ball carrier and fires at the right time. Has been known to blow plays up by shooting the right gap forcing the runner to redirect.
- Solidly built and uses all of his frame in his tackling. Doesn't miss many.
- Given the Butkus Award (nation's top linebacker), Nagursky Trophy (nation's top defensive player) and named the ACC Defensive Player of the Year.
- Not overly athletic. A bit stiff in the hips and that causes him to have some trouble switching directions.
- Isn't big enough to be a strongside linebacker and lacks the speed to be a middle linebacker. Fits in on the weakside or as a 3-4 weakside ILB the best.
- Won't be in contention for the fastest linebacker in Indianapolis. His stock could fall if he runs too poorly.
- Turns 21 in April
- Declared early as a junior.
Projection: 1st round
- Kuechly has the production, awareness, instincts and tackling ability that make him a starter in the NFL on day one in training camp. Does he have a huge upside? Not necessarily, but what you see is what you get. He'll continue to rack up tackles on the weakside somewhere in the league.
Tags : Topics : SportsSocial : SportsLocations : Cincinnati, Indianapolis, OhioPeople : Luke Kuechly