Mychal Kendricks, #30
5'11", 237 lbs., 21 years old
2011: 105 tackles, 14 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 2 INT
2010: 65 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 7 sacks, INT
2009: 71 tackles, 6 TFL, 1 sack, INT, FF
2008: 15 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack
- An athletic, light on his feet style of linebacker with experience on the inside of a 3-4 defense.
- Above average change of direction skills, above average speed that gets him from sideline-to-sideline easily and great closing burst.
- Solid tackle, puts his head down and makes a lot of contact with the ball carrier. When he gets contact, the ball carrier isn't going anywhere.
- Instincts and recognition are very, very good. Doesn't take many false steps.
- Lacks the ideal height for the position.
- At times in his tackle attempts, a shifty runner can evade him because his head is down for the tackle and he'll miss completely.
- Once in to his pads, an offensive lineman can cancel him out. Struggles breaking off the block.
- Overruns the ball carrier occasionally.
- Turns 22 in September.
- Named 2011 Pac-12 defensive player of the year
Projection: 2nd to 3rd round
- Mychal Kendricks is the most underrated linebacker in the 2012 NFL Draft in my opinion. He's best suited as a 3-4 ILB, or a weakside linebacker in a 4-3 where he's hidden and can just roam free to make plays. He will be a starter in the NFL. More polished than some of the more heralded weakside linebackers available.