LB/S Sean Spence, Miami (FL)
Sean Spence, #31
5'11", 228 lbs., 21 years old
2011: 106 tackles, 14 TFL, 3 sacks, FF
2010: 111 tackles, 17 TFL, 2.5 sacks, 2 FF
2009: 36 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 3 sacks
2008: 65 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 2 sacks, INT, FF
- Always around the ball. When you watch Miami games, Spence gets in to frame almost every single play.
- Great instincts and recognition skills as the ball is snapped. Doesn't take too many steps in the wrong direction.
- Very good at moving laterally and keeping blockers out from his pads on run plays.
- Solid in coverage responsibilities and possesses great speed to stay with his assignment.
- His size will be the fuel to his detractors. Can he stay healthy as a linebacker?
- Where exactly does he fit? Is he a weakside linebacker? Could be too small. A nickel linebacker? May not be important enough to draft highly. A safety? Lacks the experience.
- When he does get latched on to by a blocker, he's not getting away. Spence just doesn't have the strength to disengage quickly enough to make plays.
- Turns 22 in June.
Projection: 2nd to 3rd round
- There's something about Spence that just leads you to believe that he'll make his mark in the NFL despite the him being undersized. In a weaker safety group, I'm wondering if you'll show his hips to be fluid enough and if he runs fast enough in Indianapolis that a team might take a shot at him there. Either way, some team will take a shot at Spence.
Tags : Topics : SportsSocial : SportsLocations : Florida, Indianapolis, MiamiPeople : Sean Spence