(WGR 550) -- One of the biggest questions of the off-season from fans have revolved around Buffalo Bills' free agent to be Andy Levitre. With so little time until free agency begins, there has been plenty of intrigue from the league regarding the Bills' left guard, and it might prove to be quite the challenge to get him re-signed.
Here are the teams with reported interest in Levitre, who has started all 64 regular season games over the past four seasons:
- It's been a slow process with Levitre and the Bills. Telling Tim Graham of The Buffalo News on March 1 that he hadn't even received an offer from Buffalo to that point, it wasn't until Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports mentioned the Bills, along with the Colts and Titans as teams in a game of musical chairs with Levitre and San Diego guard Louis Vasquez. Other than that, all has been quiet on the Levitre/Buffalo front.
- The Titans look to be one of the strongest candidates to land Levitre this off-season. Trusted beat writer Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean has been mentioning Levitre's name with the Titans for quite some time, then reported that the Titans were one of a "mix of teams" that are interested in. Then, Peter King of Sports Illustrated dropped a huge tidbit on Levitre. King wrote on Monday that the Titans would likely "go out hard" after Levitre during the opening hours of free agency. King also points out the Titans have roughly $19 million to spend on the 2013 salary cap.
San Diego Chargers
- With the rumors very short on the Chargers and Levitre, this is more of a logical fit than anything. First, the rumor: Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union Tribune wrote on Twitter that the Chargers have indeed expressed interest in Levitre. On the logical side? Levitre is a Santa Cruz, CA native, which is roughly a seven-hour drive down to San Diego. He's a California guy both born and raised. Levitre's positional coach for the last three seasons, Joe D'Alessandris, got hired by the Chargers this off-season to run their offensive line. If San Diego brings enough dough, perhaps they could find themselves on the short list for Levitre.
- Big on cap space in 2013, the Colts are in need of a guard to help protect Andrew Luck for the forseeable future. The Colts have also been linked to Chargers guard Louis Vasquez, and are said to be in this round of "musical chairs" (Jason Cole) with the Bills and Titans for guards. If the Colts don't land Levitre, it looks like the Colts could have a good shot to land Vasquez, which would leave Buffalo without a seat.
- Adding one more team to the list, the Bears are "expected to be included" on the list of teams inquiring about Levitre's services. Adam Jahns of The Chicago Sun-Times repoted that on Friday, March 8. Since then, the Levitre-to-Bears talk has been somewhat quiet. The newspaper has also reported the Bears are showing interest in guards Brandon Moore, Kevin Boothe and Ramon Foster.
As you can see, there is no shortage for interest in Andy Levitre. While a return to the Bills isn't ruled out by any means, the closer we get to the start of free agency, the less likely it seems.
Tell me the Bills are not going to let this guy walk. The O-line and D-line are critical components to any teams success. Why do we always work so hard to find key components like Wood and Levitre just to let them walk away after their rookie deals aredone? Some people say there isn't enough value in him to offer him the big $'s. Some say it's easy to plug the hole if we let him go. Tell me that come Sept when whoever our QB is ends up laying on his back!
Been very solid. Money talks and I think the Bills figure its easier and less expensive to replace a guard. Especially with all the other holes they have to fill.
Don't worry..we have McKelvin
For those of you wanna-be haters, the Bills Front Office took another positive step by getting rid of LeVirte's dead weight and instead signing McKelvin..oh wait??? I'm confused
Would like to have him back, but not at a outrageous salary. He's consistent, but has not received any league or player recognition.
letting this guy go is a monumental blunder, Our biggest issue on this Bills team for the last 7-8 seasons has been staying healthy and we have a guy that plays every week in Andy L. Stupidity beyond comprehension to let this guy walk, hitching the wagons to Fitz yet again will cost us in many unseen ways.
we cant keep losing players
and filling holes..its not happening especially when you arent the sharpest blades at the draft table
NO $$$ on Levittre... another MR SOFTEE, MEDiOCRE GUARD at Best...
They should pass on this guy. Mediocre Guards can be found anywhere for half the cost. He's small, slow and injury prone. Average pass blocker and routinely needs help rum blocking because he's overpowered by most defensive tackles. Save the money draft a guard and use cash for more linebacker and corner help! FORE EVER FORE EXTENDREGEIR!
Levitre or Wood
I'd prefer to keep both ... but only one has played EVERY game since he was drafted, yet the Bills seem more intent on trying to keep Wood who has missed a total of 17 games in the last 4 years and has never made it through a season without missinga game with an injury. Wood's great but he's the "Rob Johnson" of the O-line.
He's gona be way too much for a guard- Guards are a dime a dozen-you don;t spend big on them and the Bills have too many holes to fill. Draft one in the third or fourth round and they'll be fine.
Just sign him Buddy....
if you can throw a pile of money at McKelvin who is a so so player, you can afford to pay a solid player like Levitre.
Hate to lose him. He is one of the Bills that has played really consistently. If everyone on the team played the same, the Bills would be a perennial playoff team. I realize it would be expensive to keep hi. Just hope management knows what they're doing...
The Bills should have signed him before his contract was up. Instead they pay 5 million a year on mckelvin. Typical Bills let the good ones walk when they get expensive.
Regier GM of Bills?
Wait is little Ms. Darcy Regier now running the Bills? To not even offer Levitre anything is just plain moronic but then what should anyone expect from a Buffalo sports team nowadays.
Leodis signed instead?
Yeah that makes sense. The guy who cant talk and cover a receiver nor catch an INT is resigned but Levitre gets to walk? Smart move Buddy Boy, really smart.
BETTER "un" LEVITRE IDEA...
I know this takes some ingenuity not usually in large supply with our sorry sports franhises BUT- Bills should sign one of the available and excellent free agent O-tackles (theres a few available look em up), move Cordy Glenn back to guard where he belongs, and PRESTO...You have all pros at guard and tackle, get rid of "JOURENYMAN Levitre!!!! Don't throw good money away! FOREVERFORE 4walmart EXTENDIUM REGERIUM!!
Buddy Nix is a nut job
I don't understand why the Bills would not sign Levitre. They drafted him high and he was as solid as a rock. Never missed a game. Played multiple position. Look at the garbages the Bills front office brought in over the year through free agency. They had no problem paying those guys, TO, Fitz, Dockery, Merriman, none of these guys were worth the money. Yet when it comes to the kid you drafted and played well, you want to get rid of him. Buddy Nix is not a smart man. If he cannot figure out a way to keep his own player, then he is just down right stupid!
attention WESTERN NEW YORK
BUDDY NIX HAS DECIDED TO RUN FOR COUNTY EXECUTIVE AFTER HE "retires" from the bills!!!!!!
hate to see him go
Levitre is one of the better guards in the league. A typical upper echolon Bills player. NOt good enough to be an all pro but very good. I think they have to let him go based on the amount of money he's going to want. They'll have to draft a guard in the 3rd round and hope he can start. But they can't pay this guy around 7 a year with Wood's contract coming up next year. As much as I like em they both can't stay (too much money to tie up on the Oline) and if you have to keep one, I guess the Bills have chosen Wood.