(WGR 550) -- With Free Agency almost a week in, some needs and potential draft targets have shifted around the NFL. Some franchises missed out on re-signing their own, while others went out on a limb and paid some big money to unrestricted free agents to be a part of their roster.
The Buffalo Bills signed strongside linebacker Manny Lawson on the second day free agency opened up. How might that signing affect their draft philosophies?
Here is the second look at what the 2013 NFL Draft may look like. Once again, it's very important to note that this is for entertainment purposes only. We'll get a much better idea of who teams will be really interested in once we get close to the draft. Until then, mock drafts should be looked at as merely a fun look at the many scenarios that could unfold on draft day.
With that said, here is my latest offering:
1) - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
- The Chiefs believe they're close. No matter if they're planning to put Joeckel on the right side, or flip Branden Albert over to right tackle, this is their most glaring need.
2) - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama
- I considered the explosive Sharrif Floyd here, but cornerback is thin for the Jaguars. Parting ways with Derek Cox, Aaron Ross and Rashean Mathis, all that remains is Mike Harris, Alan Ball, Antwuan Molden and Kevin Rutland. A cornerback is needed in a bad way.
3) - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia
- The Raiders need to start fresh at quarterback, and while still having a year to use him if they want, Carson Palmer can serve as starter until Geno is ready.
4) - DE/DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida
- Listed as DE because he'll slot in to the 5-technique in Philadelphia's 3-4 defense.
5) - OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
- Riley Reiff is not a left tackle, and Jeff Backus has now retired. This is an underrated but humongous need for Detroit to keep Matthew Stafford healthy and throwing. Also, Michigan product. What's not to love?
6) (via CLE) - DE/OLB Ziggy Ansah, BYU
- It's clear that the Dolphins are going for it, based on their free agent spending. While cornerback remains an issue for the time being, they have two second round picks and two third round picks to deal with. To move up, they give up one of their second round picks and gain a fourth rounder back from Cleveland. The Browns missed out on Milliner, so they move down and pick up a second round pick they lost when taking Josh Gordon last year in the supplemental draft.
7) - OT Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
- Protecting the quarterback is essential in Arizona. As of now, I'm buying the talk that they'd look at a different position rather than the quarterback in the first round. Drew Stanton buys them that in my opinion. I think he could do better than expected under Bruce Arians. Underrated player.
8) - QB Matt Barkley, USC
- And in the end, the Bills go with Matt Barkley. This is the second time I've had Barkley mocked to the Bills, only last time I had him lasting a whole lot longer. However, with his pro day coming up I believe Barkley will do well enough to place him back in to the top 20 picks. For the purposes of the Bills, that would mean they wouldn't have the luxury to wait around if they do really want him. Barkley makes more sense than you'd think at first. I think he fits right in to what Nathaniel Hackett liked to do in his time at Syracuse, highlighted by a firm belief in West Coast principles. Barkley possesses a better arm than many give him credit for and will have the arm talent to make the throws quarterbacks need to in the NFL, especially in Hackett's offense. His natural leadership and experience in taking a down program over the first year he arrives is also especially appealing for what Buffalo is looking for. Barkley and Buffalo makes a lot of sense in my opinion. And if you're the 'But he went to USC!' guy, just get over it. Not every player from that college is the same person, and he's much different than the last one to come out of that program.
9) - OLB Dion Jordan, Oregon
- Needing both youth on defense and someone to put pressure on the quarterback, the Jets go with the explosive Jordan that dropped a little bit.
10) (via TEN) - OG Chance Warmack, Alabama
- Jerry Jones and the Cowboys not waiting around and trading up to get someone they think can help right away? I know, color you surprised. With Lane Johnson off the board and fear that the Chargers might take Warmack, Dallas shoots up to 10, gives up their second round pick and gains a 5th round pick for their troubles.
11) - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
- The Chargers did pretty well taking a freakishly athletic cornerback from Florida State in the past.
12) (via MIA) - WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
- Josh Gordon was a pleasant surprise, but the additional pick gives them flexibility and Patterson is an explosive talent. I wouldn't rule out those Tennessee ties for Jimmy Haslam, either.
13) (via TB) - WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia
- Tampa Bay moves down and picks up a second round selection, which could facilitate a deal for Darrelle Revis. If it doesn't, the Vikings are going to have a heck of a time in replacing Percy Harvin. They keep their other first round pick in tact, and select a do-it-all wideout in Austin.
14) - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah
15) - DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo, LSU
16) - S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
17) - DE/OLB Jarvis Jones
18) (via DAL) - CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
19) - LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
20) (via CHI) - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State
- If you're keeping track, this is the same trade I had last time around. Falcons give up their second round pick to Chicago (who lacks a third round pick) and get a fourth round pick in return. They need a defensive end. Also, their starting defensive ends would be named Kroy and Bjoern. Thats... awesome.
21) - LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State
22) (via WAS) - OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
- A solid value pick to fortify the offensive line. If Sam Bradford is going to succeed, he needs to be protected.
23) (via MIN) - DT Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
24) - NT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
25) (via SEA) - DT Kawann Short, Purdue
26) - C Barrett Jones, Alabama
27) (via HOU) - OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama
- Give up a fourth-round pick to take care a major need on their offense? No problem for David Caldwell, who has seen trading up in the draft can work out from his time with Atlanta.
28) - DE Datone Jones, UCLA
29) - WR Keenan Allen, Cal
- Allen's jump ball ability, and Tom Brady throwing to him, could make him in to a huge contributor early on in his career.
30) (via ATL) - TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
31) (via SF) - QB Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
- The Jets give up their 2014 third round pick to move up ten slots to bring in a new quarterback. Philadelphia and Arizona in front of them induced the move up.
32) - ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
33) (via JAX) - WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
34) (via KC) - DE/DT Margus Hunt, SMU
35) - QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
- E.J. Manuel will get overdrafted, and it seems like the Philadelphia Eagles are very interested in his services.
36) - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
37) (via OAK) - HB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
38) - QB Tyler Bray, Tennessee
- Last time around, this was Mike Glennon. If Bray can put it all together, he will be a steal here. That's a huge if. He is extraordinarily talented, though, and the right coach could bring it all out.
(Used in 2012 Supplemental Draft on WR Josh Gordon)
39) (via SF, through NYJ) - CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers
- San Francisco could use a corner, and Logan Ryan is a solid fit for teams that run zone looks for their cornerbacks, which the 49ers run. So do the Buccaneers, so they take no chances and give San Francisco a 4th round pick in 2014 to move up four slots.
40) - S Jonathan Cyprien, Florida International
41) - OG Justin Pugh, Syracuse
- The Bills could do a number of different things with this pick, but I think Pugh's value at this point in the draft would make him a solid fit. Wide receiver is certainly in consideration, but there are some big target wideouts that the Bills could go after in the third or fourth round, based on how the board plays out. Pugh would come in and immediately fill the void for Andy Levitre, at a much lower price. Oh, yeah, not to mention he played for both the Bills head coach and offensive coordinator his entire college career. Pugh to Buffalo seems like a natural fit. He also offers versatility, to where he can kick outside if need be, having played there throughout college.
I'm one of those "but he went to USC guys" and for good reason. Let's review. Since 1980 here are the USC QB's who went to the NFL - Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart,John David Booty, Aaron Corp (currently on the Bills roster) and Mark Sanchez. I say again, God help us!
Who in the NFL is Barkley most like
Do you think he will be successful? A Franchise type QB?
please no thank u
please please.. i sure hope there is enough football sense at 1 bills drive to NOT DRAFT a Qb or barkley at #8! for Gods sake noooooo!
first thing is to trade the no. 8 pick for more picks. the draft is very deep in defensive players. although a qb in the 5th or 6th rd. jordan rodgers comes to mind, he has the same release as his brother aaron.
we need QB/WR sooner then later
agreed the early QB is a necessity, but trade back into 1st or early 2nd for big time reciever (please)!!Free agent guard or 3rd/4th rounder would be fine...Us fans need a little pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (hope that is)..
Barkely didn't do so great
but not watching them much, I wonder if it was his ability or if the USC talent pool has been drying up lately.
Problems with Barkely
Joe I love you but I hope you're wrong about Barkely. Its not that he went to USC although the track record the last 10 years has been dreadful it is more of the following. 1. He is coming off an injured throwing shoulder to me its alot like taking a pitcher right after he has Tommy John surgery. 2. Its that USC is located in LA and not Seattle in otherwords he's not used to or going to know what to do with the weather and it is a factor. 3. Most importantly he has underdelivered. This was supposed to be the year USC went for a national title and even with him healthy they underpreformed and with talent like Woods and Redd to get the ball to, that should not have happened. Too many red flags and oh yeah 4. He went to USC like Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez all did and like I said at the top they have been dreadful.
I just have trouble with the idea of Barkley because he looks no different as a prospect than Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez did. Both of them, like Barkley is, were considered limited athletes with average arm strength, but who are intelligent and accurate. Barkley looks no different than those two did and look where those two are now. If you want another USC quarterback example, Matt Cassel, who went 230th overall, also has the same intelligent/accurate/game manager style. But none of those guys, Leinart, Sanchez, or Cassel are franchise quarterbacks and I don't see how Barkley will be different.
No Way, Joe
No way the Bills reach for Barkley at 8. Forget it. If Geno's not there, and no lock the Bills take him if he is, the Bills go Patterson. Print it. With their lack of action in the FA market at wideout it makes sense that this is the pick. Also think if they target Pugh, they'll move done to lower in the 2nd to get him. My guess, however, is that after Patterson they move on QB with Bray or move up to get Barkley.
you need to jump off the Barkley band wagon....
Just recently you had Barkley as our 2nd pick, now all of a sudden he's 8?
I laugh every time I see you put a lineman or CB with our pick. We have other more important needs and a big reason the Bills have struggled over the years is because we keep taking best player on the board instead of needs.
Rhodes would mean we'd have to get rid of he or Gilmour down the road as long as both are good. Then you're playing the same song and dance every draft. If we take Pugh and he does well, then we will likely let Corby walk in 4 seasons, just like we did Levitre. Use your brain Joe.
Do not take Barkley!!!!
USC Quarterbacks:Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez. Need I say more?
The best QB in the draft. If he comes here and it does not work out, the Bills will just have to go all in on a QB in the 2014 draft. A franchise QB must be in place for the 2014 season. That will complete a five year rebuild under Buddy Nix.
LB in 1st
Tyler Wilson in second.
Barkley will not succeed
I read your rationale but I don't see him as the answer. He benefited from superior talent vs less college teams. Threw too many picks in big games. This off season has started with promise and has been ebbing ever since.
your infatuation with barkley..
just get over it. seriously
The 2013 NFL Draft
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills took Barkley with the eigth pick. They have a tendency to reach for players and Barkley is definitly a reach that early in the draft. I have zero confidence in Buddy Nix's decision making. He seems to always be a day late and a dollar short. Look how long it took him to realize the Bills needed a quarterback.
geno is the answer,move up ,do whatever it takes,of course buffalo is too stupid to realize this until its too late .Barkly is just another fitz
I can only hope NO
Matt barkley DOES NOT have a strong arm..stop saying he does. Watch the tape: HE DOES NOT HAVE A STRONG ARM...now nod in agreement and move on
I just get worried about USC QB's. Especially when Matt Barkley has the exact same skill set as the past three USC quarterback flops. Matt Barkley is "intelligent, accurate, but a limited athlete with limited arm strength." This is exactly what was said of Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez when they came out and it has proved true to be exactly what Matt Cassel is as well. Matt Barkley shows glimpses of greatness on tape, but so did Leinart and Sanchez. Barkley looks like a franchise quarterback, but buyer beware, the last USC quarterbacks looked the part in college too, but they ended up busting in the NFL... The Bills cannot afford another quarterback bust...
Sharrif Floyd is not at all a 5-technique. He is best suited as a 3-technique in the 4-3 defense and he would be a waste of talent playing in the 3-4 as a 5-tech, much like Glenn Dorsey was a "bust" playing in Kansas City's 3-4.
Cornerback at #2????
Dee Milliner is a fine prospect, but no cornerback has gone in the top four picks since 1998 when the great Charles Woodson went 4th overall to Oakland. I find it hard to believe a corner will go 2nd overall when Milliner isn't even the best cornerprospect in the past 3 drafts, that who be Patrick Peterson, who went 5th overall in 2011 to Arizona.
west coast QB to Buffalo Bills----no thanks----don't go there---go get Cousins from the Redskins.
3 things that totally amuse me...
1. Anyone thinks that a Pro Day scripted practice in gym shorts is valuable to evaluate a player.
2. Anyone that thinks there is some relavant link between success of Southern Cal QBs
3. Joe B's man-crush on Matt Barkley
Still can't buy off with taking a QB with the first pick. I would opt for Jones or Ogletree and solidify the LB core; or Womack to solidify the offensive line.
Round two I would flip it and grab either Greene or Collins at LB or Pugh or Long at OG.
No way I'd take Barkley at #8. Patterson/WR is a more sound and safe pick there. Don't trust Barkley with his injury. Can always move up into the late 1st rd to get a QB
GOD PLEASE NO
I like it BUT?
We need (2) QBs. Please dont give us this rebuilding C-ap! The NEW NFL or present NFL plays for the season, not constant rebuilding! Rebuilding only gives you 6-10,7-9,8-8 teams, then you lose your players to free agency and start over. Keep up with the modern NFL Buffalo. Haven''t we had enough losing seasons with the last 13 years of rebuilding? This system doesn't work today, or for the last 13 years. At least a good QB gives you a chance. CMON MAN, give up this rebuilding BULLCR-P!
I like it!
I will be happy w/ Barkley or Geno Smith...I like the 2nd rd pick as long as we grab a WR AND LB with the rest of draft and free agency
bills need playmaker and more picks
qb is not the answer at 8 with our oline and lack of playmakers get the biggest playmaker available at 8 trade back in to the first
This is your Brain on drugs!
Absolutely the wrong guy for Buffalo! What makes you think he will be better than Fitz, Edwards or Losman. Even the media votes to keep Buffalo at the bottom. At least come up with a guy you can make a intelligent argument for.
Barkley better than Geno
At least Joe is not saying Geno at #8. He is over-rated and throws high constantly. This will be a problem in the winds at the Ralph. Go with Barkley, Wilson, Bray or Landry Jones instead of Geno. And a receiver in the early rounds will help too.
Buddy doesn't know who he is
He didn't play in the SEC or ACC.
Joe B. still cant get it right. The pick is G Chance Warmack for the Bills @ #8. No more California QBs for us. Barkley is going to the Arizona Cardinals @ pick# 7.
best of the quarterbacks available...accurate passer and a leader
Seriously, I would give Jets the overall 8th pick for the 9th and Tebow. This situation would automatically give Bills a way more exciting option and get a top 10 pick. Jets would also be extremely benefited. They would be one step ahead of Buffalo and address top OL help or get someone like Geno Smith to backup Sanchez. As Bills, Oakland is limited and has pressing needs anywhere. Their new general manager Reggie McKenzie will not start gambling so high. Oakland will land the best player available.
This is the one thing we shall not do. Don't take a QB in round one. They aren't good enough. We need an impact player or potential superstar, which is why we should draft either Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan or Cordarelle Patterson.
No way for Barkley
If they waste a #1 draft choice on this bum, it will set the team back 5 years. He wont be taken in the first 2 rounds.
Pretty boy quarterbacks from SC never seem to make it in the NFL. They are pampered and overhyped.
joe, thumbs down draft
once, almost thought you were on the ball, no longer!! barkley??? are u nuts? he is another soon to be USC failure. 2 other qb's make more sense. NASSIB or maybe, not hopefully and not waant him on bills roster,GINO SMITH. get a clue and solve the puzzle that is your mind GO BILLS!!
I hope you are Bluffing
Barkley hope Arizona takes him to save the Bills !!! Warmack is the pick only because he is the real deal. How many times have you heard you build a team up front.Lets face it if the Bills do not start getting more players in free agency you have to say it the Bills are on the clock for 2014!!!!!!!!!!
ive posted this before.....
with the 8th overall pick the buffalo bills select from the university of alaska punter JOE ESKIMO,BUDDY told me after drinkin some shine at his outhouse i mean cabin.
WITHOUT A GOOD (QB) YOUR TEAM GOES NOWHERE! WHAT A BUNCH OF JACKAS_ES. GO GET A GOOD (QB) HOPEFULLY 2 GOOD QBS? THIS TEAM HASN'T HAD ONE SINCE JIM KELLY LEFT.
What about Landry Jones?
I haven't heard a thing about Landry Jones from OU. Any comments on him as a QB...good strong arm and fairly mobile. Might be a good third round pick
Try mock draft #3 Joe
#2 is not good enough. Man we hear that a plenty around here. What is it, at least 5 years with both Bills and Sabres??? NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!! Let's get back to free agency where other teams are busy especially Miami and New England and the Bills arein the dead zone. FIRE NIX!!!
No first Round QB's Available
None of these QBs are worthy of #8. Buffalo should take best on board; which may OL or hopefully LB for their needs. They have MANY needs. They can get the Syracue QB is much later rounds - 3rd or 4th and give him a chance. A poor choice at QB at pick 8 or even the second round kills the Bills for another 10 years.
i like Jones or jordan first also..impact players!
Go with Warmack.
Need Beef!!!!!!!!!!!! QB's suck this year
It's not just that he's USC, which is a red flag, it's that he's from South California. These guys are all Hollywood and never adapt to the reality of the NFL. Other Southern Cal boys: JP Losman and Trent Edwards. How did that work out?
Draft pick No. 1
Don't believe the Bills will take any Qb. with the #8 pick. I believe they will take Alec Ogletree,Jarvis Jones, or Cordella Patterson
I read an article about a quarterback who had off field trouble by the last name of Lalich. Went to Virginia and transferred elsewhere. Any info on him? He is 6'5" and 236 so he has awesome size, wondered if he might be a 3rd or later round oick for buffalo? Keep up the great work.
There is no franchise QB at #8 - doubtful, but if Joeckel or Fisher available take them or go with Patterson ; but what about trading down a few spots with Tenn, San D. or Carolina and picking uo another 2nd Rd pick ! You'll still have a lot to chose from even at #14 - maybe Warmack, WR K.Allen, LB Ogletree or Jones and with two #2s look for a QB, and Center B.Jones or G- Cooper or Pugh.
I just don't agree
I just can't see the Bills passing on Dion Jordan if he gets to 8th pick. But a trade down might be best. Maybe St. Louis or Minnesota, Tavon Austin's stock is rising fast. These two teams could use him and may be willing to trade up to get him. If that happens then a LB like Ogletree or maybe one of the top TE's along with a QB may be options there.
you're on lithium if you think they should take another rag-arm with good intangibles...this kid simply does not have the gun to perform at an elite level in the nfl.
Does it really matter....take an offensive tackle
Regardless of what anyone says, it is a re-building year for the Bills. A new coach, new staff, new offensive and defensive systems, no significant free agency signings. Why take a quarterback in the first round?? I expect the Bills to be drafting in the top 5 next year. If someone is available in the second or third round use a pick then. Why not select a tackle with our first pick and move Glenn to Guard to replace Levitre? Next year we could go after Manziel, Bridgewater or McCarron...
I think the Bills should go Ogletree in 1st,make a trade in some fashion for the securing of Tyler Wilson earlier in 2nd round,tough senior year for this man,(beyond his control)but,tough,smart,a leader of men and ready to go and prove it.... more than any other QB this year!!!
Does it really matter; YESSSSSSSSSSS!
Get the QBS NOWWWWWWWWWW! This next year Bul_Cr_p and rebuilding is not the way the NFL works today. The Bills have been rebuilding for, going on 14 years?
a last place
finish no matter who we draft at quarterback this year and another high pick next year when a much better selection of quarterbacks will be available
I really do not understand how people can judge somebody based on their college's previous QB history. Mark Sanchez took the Jets to 2 straight AFC championship games, torched the Bills in the home opener, and has proven that he can win. Andrew Luck went to Stanford - in California. As Joe said, "Get over it!"
are you for real
Please you must work for the bills haven't you learned yet. CALIFORNIA quarterback can't play in the east wind and cold. They minds will trade there pick to the jets for Sanchez
a man(sic)look it up.
there was a disillusioning man who told fantasy stories. some with a do good moral, other's, just page fill. he commented on the news of the day, again, some good, some terribly bad!! wrote an article on our home teams 1st pick in the draft. he extolled virtues, judgemnt, estimation. he tried to lead like the piper of fairy tale fame.only thing was, it was a story about the blind being led by the blind. you know the story, right? if not, too bad!he is trying to sell a bag of coal, by the name of gino barkley or is it matt smith? ah, i digress.he supports 2 qb's who are very lacking, very flawed and not worthy of any team's 1st pick! go to Y..T..., type in ryan nassib,watch his highlight, get a new, relevant opinion to show that you have an open mid, that's all, school is out!! GO BILLS!!