Bruce Irvin, #11
6'3", 234 lbs., 24 years old
2011: 40 tackles, 14.5 TFL, 8 sacks, 3 FF
2010: 21 tackles, 14 TFL, 14 sacks, 2 FF
- Fantastic burst and explosion off the line of scrimmage. Will catch a lot of tackles off-guard.
- Great speed to get around offensive linemen.
- Does not give up on the play. Always plays at a million miles an hour.
- He has two moves. A speed move to get around slower offensive tackles, and a speed move that cuts in on unbalanced offensive tackles.
- A non-factor and a liability in the run game. Unless going unblocked, Irvin doesn't serve much on running plays. Many times the Mountaineers took him out when they expected the run. Against 35 total run plays vs. Maryland in 2011, Irvin was on the field for just 17 of them... two of which went for touchdowns.
- Limited to being a pass-rush specialist on obvious passing situations.
- Character concerns from pre-college days.
- Turns 25 in November.
- Ruled academically ineligible sophomore year of high school and dropped out. Spent time in a juvenile detention center until earning a GED in 2007.
- Went the JUCO route and got cut from one school before being brought on by Mt. San Antonio Community College.
Projection: 4th to 5th round
- Irvin is exactly what Aaron Maybin was to the Jets this year. A wide-out speed rusher that needs to be coming from the weakside on passing downs only. He'll have a role, but his lack of ability in the run stopping department will likely keep him from being a starter in the NFL.