Matt Kalil, #75
6'7", 295 lbs., 22 years old
- An elite pass blocker. Technically sound in his footwork and awareness. Will make a defender disappear.
- Thwarts attempts at a change of direction approach. Athletic enough to move with the man and keep him away from the QB.
- Terrific at dealing with hand-to-hand combat from the pass-rusher. Easily gets the job done.
- A very good run blocker that will finish his blocks and can get out and space on a pitch with ease or to the second level of an inside run and spring a big gain.
- Great bend and balance. Hunkers down and explodes through his man.
- Defenders have shown ability to get off his block in the run game, but not consistently enough.
- Scouts may want him to get over the 300-pound plateau.
- Turns 23 in June.
- Redshirt Junior.
- Father, Frank Kalil, was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1982. Brother is Ryan, center for the Carolina Panthers.
Projection: Top 5 pick
- You can be watching for a long time before you find a flaw in Kalil's pass blocking ability. Just a strong prospect that is everything you want in a left tackle. A franchise guy. He'll make some team very, very happy for many years to come.