Matt McCants, #71
6'5", 309 lbs., 22 years old
- Three-year starter at left tackle for UAB.
- A long-build with natural athleticism.
- Although young in to his football career, McCants shows some major flashes of potential against both the bull rush and wide rushes at times.
- Very raw, developmental type player.
- Plays a bit upright and his footwork could use some fine-tuning.
- Just seems a bit loose in his technique, wild may not be the right word, but it's what comes to mind.
- Could stand to put on some more weight.
- Turns 23 in August.
- Redshirted in 2008 involuntarily. Had to sit out due to academic reasons.
- Started playing football senior year of high school
Projection: 6th to 7th round
- McCants strikes me as someone with a lot of potential if a team is willing to put the work in with him and show patience in improving his overall game. Those flashes are what gets you interested. Is he ever going to realize his potential? It's definitely not a given. But he will get a call from someone whether it be during the draft or as an undrafted free agent.