OT Mitchell Schwartz, Cal
Mitchell Schwartz, #72
6'5", 317 lbs., 22 years old
Pacific Palisades, CA
- Four-year starter with 51 games under his belt. 35 started at left tackle, 16 at right tackle.
- Able to have a nice calm drop to create a good pocket for the quarterback when he keeps the defender in front of him.
- Good pedal-to-the-metal type run blocking.
- Great size for the position.
- Struggles when a pass-rusher gets to his outside shoulder and tries to barrel his way in.
- Gets lost in space at times. Runs around but doesn't get anyone to block.
- Lapses in concentration/bad communication on who has what guy in pass blocking. Has led to sacks.
- May be better suited as a guard in the NFL.
- Turns 23 in June.
- Younger brother of Geoff Schwartz, who was drafted in 2008.
- Stepped in at the Senior Bowl at center and solved the ball exchange problems to the QB according to reports.
Projection: 5th to 6th round
- While Schwartz may not be a solid tackle prospect at the next level, I think he'll be a fine backup that can start when needed. He could very well follow the career path of his older brother.