David Paulson, #42
6'3", 243 lbs., 23 years old
2011: 31 receptions, 438 yards, 6 TD
2010: 24 receptions, 418 yards, 4 TD
2009: 12 receptions, 185 yards
- Displays a nice burst off the line of scrimmage on passing plays. Helps him get to the intermediate area quickly enough for the quarterback.
- Has good, dependable hands. Doesn't let the ball get in to his pads all that often.
- Despite his lack of bulk, does a nice job in anchoring against a linebacker on a blitz.
- Able to pick out a soft-spot in a zone and hang there. Described as Darron Thomas' security blanket.
- A little bit shorter and a little bit below the weight that you would like for a tight end.
- Speed isn't great, but is hidden by his burst off the line of scrimmage.
- Not a very polished run blocker. Will give a good seal block now and again, but for the most part struggles.
- Not an overly deceptive route runner, a bit stiff in the hips.
- All-Pac-12 second team in 2011, all-Pac-10 first team in 2010.
Projection: 4th to 5th round
- Paulson might just be a good candidate to become an H-back for a team. If he runs a bit faster than expected and gets to the high 4.6s or low 4.7s, he may get a look from a team in that role. Even if he doesn't, Paulson is still a mid-round player that can help the receiving depth at the position.