Deangelo Peterson, #19
6'2", 230 lbs., 23 years old
New Orleans, LA
2011: 18 receptions, 179 yards, TD
2010: 16 receptions, 198 yards
2009: 5 receptions, 82 yards, 2 TD
- Among the faster tight ends in terms of top-end speed. Can get behind a zone within the throw window.
- Has the type of fluidity in his movements you prefer to have to create matchup problems for linebackers.
- Very good ball skills. Plucks the ball out of the air, sometimes one-handed, and secures the catch.
- Prototypical size for a player in the H-back role.
- Not for a lack of effort, his blocking is painful to watch at times. Shows flashes but more often than not really struggles in this area. Lacks the overall strength against college LBs, will likely struggle even more in NFL.
- Not quite as explosive off the line of scrimmage as you would like out of a player with his type of speed.
- Gets visibly frustrated when his quarterback makes the wrong read or doesn't know the play.
- Size is, and will continue to be an issue for Peterson if he is a tight end in the NFL.
- Switched from wide receiver to tight end ahead of his sophomore season
Projection: 4th to 5th round
- His amount of athleticism will likely get him drafted, but at this point he is a completely one-dimensional player at tight end with limited size. It just so happens his one dimension is heavily sought after in the NFL.