Orson Charles, #7
6'3", 245 lbs., 21 years old
2011: 45 receptions, 574 yards, 5 TD
2010: 26 receptions, 422 yards, 2 TD
2009: 23 receptions, 374 yards, 3 TD
- Extremely athletic. Great burst and quick-twitch movement. Able to catch linebackers/safeties in coverage off guard a bit.
- Elite speed for the tight end position. Will fly on a timed trial.
- Yards after catch are very good because of his speed and who's covering him. Nice change of direction skills.
- Shows a good fight as a blocker in the run game.
- Despite his feistiness as a blocker, he's often a liability in the run game. Tends to lunge, lean, clutch and grab to try and get the edge. He'll get caught off-balance and get whistled for holding.
- His height is a concern. He's not the prototypical safety blanket for a quarterback.
- Solid hands overall, but does have lapses in concentration every once and again.
- Former wide receiver, teammates with current Georgia QB Aaron Murray in HS.
Projection: Late 1st to 2nd round
- While his height is a legitimate concern, the NFL is turning in to such a pass-first league that it can be overlooked. If teams had to do it over again with the year that Aaron Hernandez was eligible, he'd go a lot higher despite his size. Charles is a receiving tight end only. Needs a lot of work blocking. With teams continually trying to find the next big thing at that position, he'll go off the board sooner than later.