Alshon Jeffery, #1
6'4", 232 pounds, 21 years old
St. Matthews, SC
2011: 49 receptions, 762 yards, 8 TD
2010: 88 receptions, 1517 yards, 9 TD
2009: 46 receptions, 763 yards, 6 TD
- The perfect size teams are looking for when the phrase "Number one wide receiver" is thrown around.
- Great ball skills and hands to make some plays even when they aren't there. Has one-handed catches in his repertoire.
- He has mastered the art of the push-off. He may get called for Pass Intereference once in a while, but that's how he maximizes separation.
- Not easily brought down after the catch by would-be tacklers.
- Has shown ability to get off the press against two top corners this year (Alfonzo Dennard and Dre Kirkpatrick).
- An overall lack of burst off the line of scrimmage and out of his cuts. Could be an issue against faster NFL cornerbacks.
- His cuts and route running aren't very deceptive. Will have to work on that in the NFL.
- Production dropped off in 2011. Only one 100-yard receiving performance all season.
- Turns 22 in February
- Ejected from his final collegiate game for trading shots with Nebraska's Alfonzo Dennard. Dennard was also ejected.
Projection: 1st Round
- I think there are a couple of players that are more polished as receivers for the 2012 NFL Draft, but the ceiling on Jeffery is very high. If he can fine-tune his routes a bit in the NFL, he could be dominant. If he slips out of the first round, some team will jump all over him in the second.