WR Dwight Jones, North Carolina
Dwight Jones, #83
6'3", 226 lbs., 23 years old
2011: 85 catches, 1196 yards, 12 TD
2010: 62 catches, 946 yards, 4 TD
2009: 5 catches, 21 yards
- Prototypical size for a number one wide receiver.
- Really nice speed for a player his size.
- Good adjustments made on underthrown passes to come back and finish the catch.
- Tough to bring down after the catch.
- Fights the ball way too much in reception attempts. The ball catches him rather than the other way around. Way too many drops.
- Tries to trap the ball on his pads rather than catching with his hands.
- For his size, he doesn't play the way a tall receiver should. Most his receptions were little drags just off the line.
- Really struggled at the Senior Bowl all week.
- Played basketball in high school and led his team to two state titles.
Projection: 5th to 6th round
- There's some to like with Jones, and that will likely get him drafted. But the bad completely outweighs the good for me. The most basic concept of playing wide receiver is catching the ball. If you trap it in your pads almost routinely, then you may struggle in the NFL.