Justin Blackmon, #81
6'1", 211 lbs., 22 years old
2011: 121 receptions, 1522 yards, 18 TD
2010: 111 receptions, 1782 yards, 20 TD
2009: 20 receptions, 260 yards, 2 TD
- Rare type of athlete. Height is just average, but is made up for with incredible leaping ability and physicality. Plays bigger than he is.
- Good, strong build that makes him very hard to tackle after the catch. Arm tackles won't get it done. Strong hands to bring in the ball, too.
- Explosive when he hits the second gear after the catch. Very good vision with the ball.
- Smooth route runner that can catch the ball in stride with ease.
- Disguises when the ball is getting to the receiver in tight coverage by not going for the catch until the last second.
- Prone to lapses in concentration. Drops very catchable passes from time to time. Also extends the ball out of his body on run after catch which has led to fumbles.
- Body catches more than you would like.
- Average burst off the line of scrimmage.
- Suspended for one game in 2010 following an arrest for DUI.
- Back-to-back Biletnikoff winner in 2010, 2011 for nation's top wide receiver.
- Had over 100-yards receiving in 19 of 25 games started over the past two years.
Projection: Top 10
- While the lapses in concentration are concerning, Blackmon's overall athleticism and explosiveness will undoubtedly get him drafted in the top ten in 2012. While I could definitely see him getting selected in the top five, too, the position he plays doesn't always indicate that high of a draft pick. Regardless, he's a special football player.