Bills Beat Blog
By Joe Buscaglia
Brought to you by:
Which Bills Get Cut?
With training camp over and half of the preseason games dealt with as well, I wanted to take a little bit of time to project who might be on this roster when the dust settles and only 53 men make up the Buffalo Bills on September 3. You'll find some surprises, but ones that I think may have a chance at happening.
Quarterback (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyler Thigpen, Brad Smith
Cut: Levi Brown
- Levi hasn't looked the part this season, and the rule change to not requre the third quarterback to not dress likely dooms his chances.
Running Back (3): Fred Jackson, C.J. Spiller, Johnny White
Cuts: Bruce Hall, Anthony Elzy
- No surprises here.
Fullback (1): Jehuu Caulcrick
Cut: Corey McIntyre
- If the Bills are looking to cut costs, McIntyre may be a salary dump casualty. He's good on special teams, but Caulcrick is cheaper and a hometown story. McIntyre is set to make $950,000 this year compared to Caulcrick's $405,000.
Wide Receiver (6): Stevie Johnson, Donald Jones, Marcus Easley, David Nelson, Roscoe Parrish, Naaman Roosevelt
Cuts: Craig Davis, Ruvell Martin, Kamar Aiken, Felton Huggins, Paul Hubbard
- Davis and Martin were late adds likely there just for depth reasons during the pre-season. I think they've etched their six wideouts in stone for a while now.
Tight End (3): Scott Chandler, David Martin, Mike Caussin
Cuts: Shawn Nelson, Zack Pianalto
- As soon as Nelson gets healthy (if he ever gets healthy) he's as good as gone. He looks way heavier than when they drafted him, and not in a good way. I think Pianalto would have made this team if it hadn't been for a lack of time before training camp started to get acclimated. Combine that with a training camp injury, he's way behind.
Offensive Tackle (4): Demetrius Bell, Ed Wang, Erik Pears, Chris Hairston
Cuts: Cordaro Howard, Jason Watkins
- They may keep Howard for versatility alone, but I think he's looked too weak to make the team.
Offensive Guard (4): Andy Levitre, Chad Rinehart, Kraig Urbik, Mansfield Wrotto
Cuts: Colin Brown, Isaiah Thompson
- Isaiah Thompson will always be remembered as that guy that threw haymakers with T.J. Langley in training camp.
Center (1): Eric Wood
Cuts: Geoff Hangartner, Michael Switzer
- This is a salary dump I think we've been seeing since training camp opened. Hangartner has two years left on his deal. He's set to make $2.55 million this year, and $2.81 the next. That's why you're not seeing him battle with Kraig Urbik for the right guard spot, even though he has experience in the past at guard. I think his days as a Bill are over after September 3.
Defensive End (4): Marcell Dareus, Dwan Edwards, Alex Carrington, Kellen Heard
Cuts: Spencer Johnson, Lionel Dotson, T.J. Langley
- I think Spencer Johnson has had a great camp, but he's another guy due a lot of money that may just get the boot. He's got two years left in his deal, and is owed $3 million each of the next two years. $3 million for a backup? I think he's got a good chance of going. It stinks because he's really played at a high level, but that's the way it goes I guess when you have Dareus and Edwards starting ahead of him.
Defensive Tackle (3): Kyle Williams, Torell Troup, Michael Jasper
- Big Mike Jasper makes the team more so for the Bills not wanting him to hit waivers than him being ready to be on the 53-man roster. It's either him or Chris White. Which would you choose? So would the Bills.
Outside Linebacker (4): Chris Kelsay, Shawne Merriman, Danny Batten, Antonio Coleman
Cuts: Jammie Kirlew, Robert Eddins, Brad Jefferson
- Eddins and Jefferson are two likely practice squad candidates.
Inside Linebacker (5): Nick Barnett, Kirk Morrison, Andra Davis, Kelvin Sheppard, Arthur Moats
Cuts: Brandon Hicks, Chris White
- With the addition of Morrison, it could put Davis in jeopardy with his higher type salary. But I think he's safe for the most part. White has been hurt too much and is a likely practice squad prospect. Unless they cut Davis, he's odd man out.
Cornerback (5): Leodis McKelvin, Drayton Florence, Terrence McGee, Aaron Williams, Justin Rogers
Cuts: Reggie Corner, Loyce Means, Doyle Miller
- I wouldn't be shocked to see Terrence McGee be moved before the season starts, and Reggie Corner given the opportunity to make the team. I think they could still get some compensation for him, and it would open up room to get Aaron Williams on the field more. If McGee isn't moved, Corner will likely be cut.
Safety (4): Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, Da'Norris Searcy, Jon Corto
Cuts: Bryan Scott, Sidney Glover, Joshua Nesbitt
- Scott is another example of a salary dump if they choose to go that route. As a backup safety he's owed $1.15 million this upcoming season. Searcy is a much younger and cheaper option.
Punter (1): Brian Moorman
Cut: Reid Forrest
- I've been wondering all training camp how safe Brian Moorman really is to make this team. But in the end, I think he barely beats out Forrest.
Kicker (1): Rian Lindell
Long Snapper (1): Garrison Sanborn
Cut: Danny Aiken
- Do you really want analysis on why the backup long snapper gets cut?
Tags : People : Aaron Williams, Alex Carrington, Andra Davis, Andy Levitre, Anthony Elzy, Antonio Coleman, Brad Smith, Brian Moorman, Bruce Hall, C.J. Spiller, Chad Rinehart, Chris Hairston, Chris Kelsay, Colin Brown, Corey McIntyre, Craig Davis, Danny Batten, David Martin, David Nelson, Demetrius Bell, Donald Jones, Drayton Florence, Dwan Edwards, Eric Wood, Erik Pears, Felton Huggins, Fred Jackson, Geoff Hangartner, George Wilson, Jason Watkins, Johnny White, Jon Corto, Kelvin Sheppard, Kirk Morrison, Kraig Urbik, Kyle Williams, Leodis McKelvin, Levi Brown, Lionel Dotson, Mansfield Wrotto, Marcus Easley, Michael Jasper, Michael Switzer, Mike Caussin, Naaman Roosevelt, Nick Barnett, Paul Hubbard, Reggie Corner, Rian Lindell, Roscoe Parrish, Ruvell Martin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Scott Chandler, Shawne Merriman, Spencer Johnson, Stevie Johnson, Terrence McGee, Tyler Thigpen