Melvin Ingram, #6
6'2", 272 lbs., 22 years old
31 tackles, 15 TFL, 10 sacks (9 in '10, 1 in '09, 1 in '07) 2 INT
- Has done it all for the Gamecocks. Lines up at the 7, 5 and 3 as well as some stand-up OLB. Even a blocker in punt formations.
- A hearty combination of moves to get to the quarterback. Always keeps it fresh in one-on-one battles.
- A smart player who trusts his judgement. Can read screens, reverses and option-pass plays with a visual cue.
- Hand-to-hand battle with OL is usually won by him. Doesn't allow the blocker to get inside his pads.
- Struggles from time to time in the run game. Has overrun the ball carrier a few times.
- A bit shorter and heavier than you would like if you're thinking about making him a 3-4 OLB.
- Timed speed may not be top notch.
- Missed 2008 after breaking his foot in an off-field accident just prior to the season.
Projection: Top 15 - He may not possess the size or timed speed, but line Melvin Ingram up anywhere on the field and he will make plays. He will be pushing to be the first pass-rusher off the board in late April.