- The Sabres got on the board first despite being outshot 10-1 in the early going. Buffalo's second shot of the game found the net, courtesy of Marcus Foligno, but it was Jack Eichel's forecheck that led to a Chicago turnover and Foligno's 6th of the season.
- Ryan Hartman made it 1-1 later in the opening period, flying around Taylor Fedun and lifting a shot over Anders Nilsson's glove.
- Buffalo took a short-lived lead late in the 2nd period on Kyle Okposo's power play goal, but Chicago tied it 2-2 just 18 seconds later thanks to Anisimov.
- Jack Eichel added a power play goal of his own at 1:10 of the 3rd, a rocket one-timer off a backhand feed from Ryan O'Reilly, for the 3-2 Sabres lead.
- Anisimov's 2nd of the night came with 2:04 to play and Kane gathered his own rebound early in overtime for the 4-3 win.
- With his goal on Thursday, Eichel's point streak reached five games (3 G, 3 A).
- O'Reilly's two assists came in his first game back from an appendectomy, his first multi-point game since December 6.
- The Sabres have not defeated the Blackhawks since December 11, 2009.
7:21 - BUF - Marcus Foligno (6) (Unassisted)
16:20 - CHI - Ryan Hartman (7) (Unassisted)
1:18 - BUF - Evander Kane (2 min., elbowing)
13:46 - BUF - Zach Bogosian (2 min., interference)
18:10 - BUF - Kyle Okposo (12) (PPG) (Ryan O'Reilly, Rasmus Ristolainen)
18:28 - CHI - Artem Anisimov (17) (Patrick Kane, Michal Kempny)
2:17 - CHI - Michal Kempny (2 min., holding)
17:37 - CHI - Bench minor (2 min., too many men on the ice)
19:52 - CHI - Brent Seabrook (2 min., hooking)
1:10 - BUF - Jack Eichel (8) (PPG) (Kyle Okposo, Ryan O'Reilly)
17:56 - CHI - Artem Anisimov (18) (Patrick Kane, Duncan Keith)
0:56 - CHI - Patrick Kane (12) (Unassisted)
BUF - Anders Nilsson (39 saves, 43 shots)
CHI - Corey Crawford (17 saves, 20 shots)
BUF - 2 of 3
CHI - 0 of 3